Sunday, August 8, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Banana Cake with Jelly Sauce

I am in a food co-op with a group of friends. We go out to the markets once a fortnight and get our fruit and veg for next to nothing. Cousin Marion wrote an article about it recently. Sometimes you get too many of a particular fruit/veg or you are out too much and when you get home you are greeted by the smell of bananas going off. I decided I would look for a recipe to use up my bananas. I found two columns of banana recipes to choose from. Banana Cream Pie, Banana Pudding, Banana Suprises, Baked Bananas with Rice

One for the breakfast menu:

Banana Rolls
Cut bananas and peel, wrap each in a piece of bacon and dip in eggs and crumbs
Cook in a quick oven for 10 minutes.
From a sister housewife in NZ.


Today I have made
Banana Cake with Jelly Sauce

A very simple recipe from our sister housewife AEG in Seven Hills, NSW. I whipped it together in about five minutes. However, It took closer to 45 minutes to cook not 15 as the recipe suggests.

Preparing the Cake


the cake in it's love heart tin
Jameson waiting for Mummy to go "chop chop" with the CAKE!
Marion enjoying a slice of cake in the sun.
I made the cake before going to the first Sydney Rock and Roll Markets today. A very sunny and warm afternoon. A lady pounced on me asking where I got the cake - "from my kitchen" was my response. Food was in short supply. Marion and I are planning to see if we can do a cake stall at the next market.

Verdict: The cake itself was not sweet - only two tablespoons of sugar and simple in taste but that was because of all the bananas on top that caramelised and were very sweet. It was very light in texture even though it was only mixed together. Curiously no butter in the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of the market stall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm yummy cake.. had the last piece tonight !

    ReplyDelete